Have you noticed how good your participants are at networking? As soon as they show up for your class, they begin visiting, they welcome new participants and help them with equipment, and if anyone is absent they call to find out why. They are so good at networking that sometimes you have to remind them that it’s time to start exercising!
Instructors need to network too. Here are some reasons why:
- The more people you know in water fitness, the more likely someone will think of you when they are looking for a good instructor.
- Networking helps you find mentors who are willing to help you out.
- Other instructors are great resources for finding places to buy swimsuits, water shoes, music and equipment.
- Associating with other instructors gives you new ideas for your classes.
- Networking can help you keep abreast of all the latest trends in water fitness.
- Meeting with other instructors is a way to make friends who share your interest in water fitness, and who might be willing to teach your class when you need a sub.
If you live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you have a great networking opportunity right in your backyard! The Metroplex Association of Aquatic Professionals (MAAP) is an organization of water fitness instructors that meet 4-5 times a year for networking and education. Membership dues are a bargain at only $25 a year. Members get discounts on Continuing Education Trainings (CETs) presented by some of the top names in the business. Julie See, the President in charge of Education for the Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA) and the editor of AKWA magazine will present 2 exciting workshops on September 26 in Plano. Master Workouts are sample classes taught by MAAP members and they are free for members. MAAP President Gary Brindle will present the next Master Workout on Tabata, a hot new trend in fitness, on November 7 in Allen. MAAP has a website where you can find a calendar of events, a list of job openings in the area, and links to other websites where you can find certifications, swimsuits, water shoes, music, equipment and more. MAAP members get e-mail notices whenever the website has been updated. There is a link to the MAAP website on my website at www.waterfitnesslessons.com. Find it at the bottom of the page, click on it, and start networking!